Killingworth Road – from its junction with Back Gallalaw Terrace (north) in a northerly direction for its entire length within Newcastle City Boundary.
Salters Bridge (Hollywood Avenue) – for its entire length.
Great North Road over slip – between its junctions with Great North Road and B1318
Killingworth Road - The reason for the closure is to ensure that health and safety is maintained whilst bridge replacement and road widening works are carried out.
Salters Bridge, Great North Road over slip and High Street – The restrictions are required to mitigate against rat running and to improve traffic flows including public transport provision along the Great North Road corridor.
Traffic Management - David Heads – Premier Traffic Management - 07525 812 421
General Works – David Brough – Story Contracting – 07967 693 084
In addition to the above listed closures the right hand turn manoeuvre from High Street, Gosforth into Salters Road will be suspended for the duration of the works.
Lane restrictions with temporary traffic signals in operation.
West Bound carriageway closed with traffic diverted along William Armstrong Drive (night shift works only)
A1 closes northbound between J73-74 with the following diversion:
A1 Northbound closed at Junction 73 Derwenthaugh Interchange Entry Slip and Mainline to Scotswood Interchange Junction 74. Traffic Will from the mainline will be diverted Via Northbound Exit Slip, Onto the A694, Onto the A695, Diverted onto Scotswood Bridge, Onto Scotswood Road Westbound and then onto A1 Junction 74 Scotswood Entry Slip. The Travelling public will gain access to the A1 Northbound Prior to Junction 75.
Public Being Diverted from the Northbound Entry will be Diverted Northbound up Derwenthaugh Road and then merge into the main diversion route on the A694
Traffic Signals in operation - Lights to be manually controlled at peak times
Redheugh Bridge - for its entire length within the Newcastle City Boundary. Pottery Lane – for its entire length.
It is expected that Redheugh Bridge and Pottery Lane will only be closed for one day (Sunday 18th March 2018, 06:00 – 18:00) and Scotswood Bridge will only be closed for one day (Sunday 25th March 2018, 06:00 – 18:00).
Strawberry Lane / Back St James Street / Leazes Terrace / Terrace Place (St James Terrace) / Strawberry Place
No access for all vehicles, however access for emergency vehicles is permitted.
Strawberry Lane – between St Andrews Street and Strawberry Place.
Back St James Street – for its entire length
Leazes Terrace – from its western junction with Terrace Place in a northerly, easterly and southerly direction to a point 150 metres north of its eastern junction with Terrace Place.
Terrace Place (St James Terrace) – between its western junction with Leazes Terrace and St James Street.
Strawberry Place – between its junctions with Barrack Road and Strawberry Lane.
The closures are to ensure the safety of supporters travelling to and from St James’ Park whilst attending the Varsity Rugby Event 2018.
Closures between 10.45am and 5.00pm:
1. Stowell Street, for entire length.
2. St Andrews Street, between Gallowgate and Newgate Street.
3. Bath Lane, between Rutherford Street and Westgate Road.
4. Friars Street, for entire length.
5. Monk Street, for entire length.
6. Cross Street, for entire length.
7. Fenkle Street, between Clayton Street and Cross Street.
8. West Walls, for entire length.
9. Charlotte Square, for entire length.
10. Blackfriars Court, for entire length.
11. Low Friars Street, for entire length.
12. Dispensary Lane, for entire length.
13. Thornton Street, for entire length.
14. Waterloo Street between Peel Lane and Thornton Street.
15. Westgate Road at Thornton Square.
Short term closures between 11.15am and 12.00pm:
16. Gallowgate, between St James’ Boulevard and Percy Street.
17. St Andrews Street, between Gallowgate and St James’ Metro Car Park access road.
18. Percy Street, between Gallowgate and Leazes Lane.
19. Blackett Street, between Percy Street and Eldon Lane.
Times of closures
1 – 15, 10:45am to 5:00pm
16 – 19, 11:15am to 12:00pm